Telegrams seem like something very old-fashioned. After all, it was the first half of the nineteenth century when they spread but are still used on some special occasions and for sending urgent communications. Fortunately, to send a telegram it is no longer necessary to go to the post office and dictate the content of the message to be sent.
A bit like with faxes (for which we have dedicated an article on how to send faxes for free from a computer), it is possible to send a telegram from a PC without having to go to the post office. All this is possible through a convenient service on the Poste Italiane website dedicated to the online telegram.
Register on the Poste.it website
To use the services of the Post Office portal, you must be registered. If you do not have the SPID of Poste or an account on the site, then you need to create it.
Proceed in this way for a new registration on poste.it
- connect to the Italian Post Office site;
- at the top right, click on the “Personal Area” button;
- a page will be shown where you can enter your username and password to log in, immediately below these fields there is the wording “Register”;
- click above and follow the procedure which has several fairly clear steps: In the first, you need to enter your name, surname and tax code, in the second you will need to choose the credentials, then accept the conditions and finally confirm the summary.
Once you have an account, you can access the convenient postal services offered on the Poste website. Through the site, it is in fact possible not only to send telegrams but also registered letters, letters and book the collection of a package at home.
Send a telegram via the Posteitaliane website
If you have a Poste or SPID account (again from Posteitaliane – the PosteID) you can send the telegram. It is important to note that, although the sending takes place in digital form, the recipient will receive the telegram in a classic way, i.e. in paper form.
- open the page dedicated to the telegram service;
- click on the yellow button “Send online” at the bottom right;
- then log in with the credentials obtained in the previous point or which you already have;
- at this point write the text of the message or click on “Choose model”, to have a hand with the most common messages;
- once the message has been entered, click on the “Continue” button;
- then you will have to indicate the recipient, with his name and his address and the name of the sender. Having entered this data, click on the “Continue” button;
- at this point, you will have a complete summary of the telegram in front of you and you can proceed to pay by credit card to send it.
As you can see, the procedure for sending a telegram is very simple and guided.
The cost of the telegram starts from € 5.50 (VAT included) for a telegram of up to 20 words and varies according to the length of the text, that is the number of words used. Sending is available for Italy and abroad and prices vary but you can always find them updated in the section dedicated to the price list.
At the date of writing this article, the price table for Italy is the one shown below – the costs shown are to be considered VAT excluded.
As for delivery times, if received by 07:00, delivery to the recipient will take place on the same day of shipment. Otherwise 24 hours later and then within the next day (excluding holidays).
Send a telegram via the Poste mobile app
Poste Italiane offers a mobile app from which it is possible to carry out many operations, as well as reserve a seat in line. The app also allowed conveniently to send telegrams, the procedure was quite similar to the PC one.
Now unfortunately the function seems to be no longer available. The section, perhaps little used, was previously accessible directly from the first page of the app.
In any case, from a mobile phone or tablet, it is always possible to use the mobile site which behaves in a similar way to the app, plus the possibility of sending telegrams online.
To send a telegram from a mobile phone:
- connect to the mobile site of the service;
- Click on the yellow button “Send online”;
- log in with your Poste credentials (attention: on mobile, access with PosteID / SPID of Poste Italiane seems to be disabled);
- write the text of the telegram or click on “Choose model” to have the help of the preset messages. Then click on “Continue”;
- it will then be time to indicate the recipient, with his name and address and the sender’s name. Once these data have been entered, click on the “Continue” button;
- at this point, we confirm the summary and proceed with the payment to send the telegram.
Send a telegram by telephone
Another method (which was also used in the past for the telegram) is sending by telephone. It is sufficient to call the number 186 from a landline or a mobile phone with TIM.
The telephone telegram can be dictated directly to a program that answers calls and the cost will be deducted from the TIM credit of the telephone or on the operator’s subsequent bill if the call is made from a fixed network.